Monday, April 5, 2010

Help Wanted

Here's a total copy and past from Wendy at Boots & Sabers
It dawned on me today that the school kids of the 24 families who were displaced from their homes yesterday by the fire are probably without backpacks. It’s Spring Break now, but wouldn’t it be nice for them to be able to go to school a week from Monday with something other than a WalMart bag for their books and papers?

I’ll let you in on a secret. We almost always buy our next year’s backpacks in April when they are on clearance in the very back corner of Kohl’s and sometimes at WalMart and Shopko. When you’re doing your shopping this week, do you think you might pop into those departments and buy one for a child?

Ginny found a church that is assisting the families. Maybe we could help out in this small way.
Now, I mentioned to her that I would love to help, however I work 8 hours a day and it would be difficult to get to West Bend. BUT!!! Here's a way to help. I will be at Mo's Irish Pub in Wauwatosa from 7-9 Tuesday, April 6. If anyone would like to pitch in and donate a backpack, clothes, or ANYTHING that these families need, please come to Mo's, and I will be hooking up with Wendy later in the week to get the donations straight to those who need it.

We all like to donate to natural disasters around the world - how about helping those in our own community?

UPDATE: If you can't get to Mo's tonight but would still like to donate a backpack, school supplies, clothes, whatever you think these families need, please get in touch with me, either in the comment section, email, twitter, whatever. I will be dropping the items off on Friday after work, so if you are able to donate, let's see if we can work something out!

1 comment:

  1. I am MORE than willing to make more than one trip! If we can collect more than my one minivan can hold, I will happily drive as many trips as it takes.

    Just think about the things you need in your daily life: toothbrush, toothpaste, kitchen supplies, wastebaskets, hangers, toilet paper, tissues, clothes, underwear (new!), socks, shoes, toys for kids,... Let's see how many minivans we can fill!

    There are about 20 children and 40 adults that we are trying to help. Let's see what our blog friends can do!

    ReplyDelete