Friday, May 7, 2010

On Politics and Human Suffering

There’s been something floating around in my brain lately, but I was waiting to see how it played out. Much to my chagrin, it’s played out as I expected.

Is there an earthquake in Haiti? Quick – have a telethon.

Earthquake in Chile? Hurry up – get that relief going.

After all, we have to make the good ol’ U S of A look like a caring charitable nation, don’t we?

Now mind you, I’m all for helping those who need help. I have no problem with that. In fact I donated to both relief efforts. The problem I’m having is that it seems to me that unless a disaster has some political edge, it just isn’t all that important.

The latest and greatest disaster is the oil spill in the gulf. This has been covered by the news 24/7 and why not? What a GREAT political disaster to have. After all, we all know that oil = bad, right? I’m not downplaying the damage that will be done, but rather than just try to contain the spill and minimize the damage as much as possible, it has become completely politicized.

So where am I going with this? Where is the outcry for Tennessee?? Where is the 24/7 news coverage? Where are the celebrities pledging aid? Good Lord – at latest count the death toll is 20, and half the state is under water! There have been storms, tornadoes, floods, destruction, but I don’t see the country paying much attention. Oh sure, while it was happening we saw some stories. But what about now? It’s NOW that the residents of Tennessee are facing the challenges. Rebuilding, cleanup, not to mention finding more victims as the flood waters recede.

I am of the opinion (and it is JUST my opinion) that because there is nothing to be gained by either side politically, we’re just going to let our neighbors down south deal with this by themselves. No relief efforts. No telethons.

Well folks, that just ain’t right. So if you're of a mind to help our fellow Americans to the south, you can click on one of these links.

Middle Tennessee Red Cross

Jackson Red Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment